Sunday, July 15, 2012

Marriage: An Education

I am getting married in two weeks. 

Let's say that again...two weeks.

My room is a disaster of wedding stuff. And gifts. And shoes. 

But that is not why I am writing this post. 

My mom gave me a book written by one of her professors from BYU, Brent A. Barlow. The book is called What Husbands Expect of Wives and it offers all sorts of advice and answers to the tough question of how to make a marriage work (there is a companion book, What Wives Expect of Husbands that my mom gave to Richard to read. It has been enlightening apparently)

In reading it tonight, I came upon a quote from Jerome Chodorov. He said, "I'll tell you the real secret of how to stay married. Keep the cave clean. They (husbands) want the cave clean and spotless. Air- conditioned, if possible. Sharpen his spear, and stick it in in his hand when he goes out in the morning to spear the bear. And when the bear chases him, console him when he comes home at night. Tell him what a big brave man he is. And then hide the spear so he doesn't fall over it and stab himself."

Heck, if marriage is that easy, I would have gotten involved with it a long time ago!

Its a shame that my guy is more of Stars Wars fan...

He wishes...
So maybe I have to put the light saber into his hand? 


No comments: